Friday, July 02, 2010

Red, White, and Blueberry Parfaits

Summer is my favorite time of year in Oregon. Sweet, juicy peaches and nectarines tempt me at the Saturday Farmer's Market. And just in time for the 4th of July, my raspberry and blueberry bushes start bursting with life!


And while I can eat fresh, ripe berries by the bucketful, it's also sweet fun to create pies, muffins, scones, cakes, pudding, and ice cream with them. So for a tasty close to our weekend barbecue, I'll be serving these delectable little parfaits. You'll want to make the mousse and cashew creme ahead of time, so they have time to chill. Enjoy!


Raspberry Mousse Ingredients:

2 12.5-oz. packages silken tofu
2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (thawed frozen raspberries will also work)
3/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
3 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

In food processor, whip tofu until smooth. Add berries, agave nectar, and vanilla and blend for another minute or so. Pour into a container with lid, and chill for at least 1-2 hours before serving.

Cashew Creme Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Using a blender, blend all ingredients until smooth and fluffy. Chill before serving.

When ready to serve, assemble parfaits by layering raspberry mousse and cashew creme. Top with fresh blueberries. Makes 8 servings.

14 comments:

Paula said...

I love berries, too! This looks delicious!

Ashley said...

Great recipe!! I'll have to try these sometime :-).

Anonymous said...

How simple and delicious! Thanks for sharing and happy 4th of July!

Angel said...

You have berry bushes? How great is that! I used to have wild blackberries growing in my yard when I lived in Southern California. It's great to wake up and pick your breakfast fresh! The parfait looks wonderful! Thank you for always making vegan so easy and delicious.

Anonymous said...

I'm insanely envious! Can I come pick berries from your garden, please?

Gregory Williams said...

This is so simple, even I can make it! Thanks for sharing your vegan wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Glad I saw the tweet about this! It looks yummy! And there's still time to make it for tomorrow's BBQ!

VeganMarr said...

Berries are scrumptious as well as nutritious! And the cashew cream makes them a little decadent, yum! You're reminding me I'm long overdue for planting some vines myself!

Marsha said...

There are so many ways to enjoy berries, and this sounds like a delectable recipe. Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yummy!

Amanda said...

These look beautiful and refreshing, perfect for the holiday!

Janet said...

Very festive! And pretty easy!! Who can resist cashew cream??!! The natural whipped cream!!

Mike said...

I could eat at least 4 of those! OK to make a meal out of them? ;-)

The Vegan said...

That is one delicious looking dessert that is really simple to prepare.